Easing of coronavirus lock down gave us an opportunity and we made the most of it!
Our WI Walk Group re-started in June, within Covid-19 guidelines, and managed 10 walks before the evening light diminished. Exercise, laughter, Jan’s shortbread, warm sunny evenings and conversation proved a successful formula for over 20 of our WI members.
The walks were arranged in or around Bognor Regis, with the exception of the walk to the WI Federation Centenary Oaks Wood at Slindon. We found pockets of Bognor Regis and its environs, that many of us did not know were there. We increased our knowledge about where we live and some of its history. Karen, Mandy, Frances and Sheila supported Jan is taking on the lead for some of the walks. Here are a few of the special moments:
- The cross over with the different walk sub groups on the beach, at low tide, on our first evening walk, with arms stretched out to keep our social distance.
- Jan’s regular sugar fix for every member.
- Support and kindness, as one walk was a bit further that we were given to believe!
- The amazing views across Pagham Harbour with its changed landscape since our last walk there.
- Bells, Mandy’s horse, welcoming us to her home.
- Local knowledge about the Barnham Canal, Chalcroft Lane airfield, Felpham Nature Reserve, and the Bersted Man.
- First Aid Kit used for the first time in 9 nine years – only for a plaster!
- A Bognorian, born and bred in Bognor Regis, of which we seemed only to have 1 on the walks, reminiscing about old haunts and homes.
- Non-exhaustive chatter as we mixed and matched while walking along.
- Sculptures at Bersted Park.
The Walk Group also ventured further afield by Zoom in July. We took ourselves somewhere even more special for 30 minutes! Amazing views of the high Himalayas, insight into family and farming communities, and the role of women there. Thanks to Jane Weston, a friend of Jan’s, for sharing the photographic journey – on paths most of us will not have the opportunity to walk on.
There were so many more special moments during the 2020 Summer of Bognor Regis WI evening walks, but most of all thank you everyone for joining in and making our walks so enjoyable.
I will miss them, and you!
Jan’s photos are in our photo album. To view them, please click here.