180g caster sugar
180g plain flour
180g ground almonds
50g cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
200ml sour cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
200g raw, peeled beetroot, finely grated
170g icing sugar, sifted
2 tbsp water
¼ tsp cream of tartar
1 egg white
½ tsp vanilla extract
drop pink food colouring (opt.)
- Grease a 20cm round cake tin and line the base.
- Heat the oven to 180C.
- Whisk eggs and sugar for 5 mins until light and fluffy. Beat in rest of ingredients, except beetroot.
- Add flour, almonds, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Beat to combine.
- Beat in sour cream and vanilla extract.
- Squeeze out excess liquid from the grated beetroot and fold into the mixture.
- Pour into the tin and bake for 50 mins. Cool.
- Place all icing ingredients in a bowl on top of a pan of simmering water until sugar dissolves.
- Remove pan from heat and whisk on high speed until mixture forms stiff peaks. Ice the cake.