500g bread (white or brown)
1½ tbsp mixed spice
2 large eggs, beaten
140g light muscovado sugar
zest 1 lemon (opt.)
100g butter, melted
2 tbsp demerera sugar
- Tear the bread into a large mixing bowl and add the fruit and spice.
- Pour in the milk, then scrunch through your fingers to mix everything well and completely break up the bread.
- Add eggs, muscovado and lemon zest if using.
- Stir well, then set aside for 15 mins to soak.
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
- Butter and line base of a 20cm non-stick square cake tin.
- Stir the melted butter into the pudding mixture, tip into the tin, then scatter with demerara.
- Bake for 1½ hrs until firm and golden, covering with foil if it starts to brown too much.
- Turn out of the tin and strip off the paper. Cut into squares and serve warm.