Bognor Regis WI
Issue 85 February 2018
Our Next Meeting – Tuesday 13th February 2018
February 2018 marks the 100th anniversary of ‘The Representation of the People Act’ 1918 which enabled all men and some women over the age of 30 to vote! In celebration of this our February meeting will be full and interesting:-
• Our speaker,Louise Peskett, will be talking about Notorious Women
• We will also be welcoming Sandra and Louise from Stonepillow, one of our chosen charities this year, and they will be talking about the assistance we can provide over the year. Initially, they have asked for donations of board games for their clients so please bring any unwanted games you may have, suitable for adults, complete and in good condition
• NFWI have asked all members to wear a Green Heart to demonstrate support for initiatives to slow/halt climate change. These hearts can be made to any design; knitted, crochet, felted – whatever you fancy – but a knitting pattern is available here: https://bognorregiswi.files.wordpress.com/2018/02/knitting-project.pdf
• There will be a raffle so bring your purse and be lucky!
• There will be sign up sheets for lots of lovely Bit-on-the-Side activities: IF YOU HAVE SIGNED UP OR WOULD LIKE TO SIGN UP FOR THE ACTIVITIES BELOW PLEASE BRING YOUR CHEQUE BOOK (CHEQUES MADE OUT TO BRWI PLEASE) TO THE MEETING SO THE NUMBERS CAN BE CONFIRMED AND THE PLACES BOOKED. SADLY, THERE WERE NO TICKETS LEFT FOR THE GIN TASTING AT THE MINERVA THEATRE SO AN ALTERNATIVE WILL BE FOUND
o Chichester Canal Trip 7th March at either 1200 or 1345, Cost will be £8
o Tour of and Afternoon Tea at Goodwood House on April 29th – £25
o Adventure Golf at Hotham Park. May 15th at 1000. Cost to be confirmed
Great British Spring Clean
NFWI have asked all WIs to become involved in the Great British Spring Clean on 2-4 March. The Committee feel that it would be good to involve as many members as possible so we are asking everyone who can to go for a walk between now and then, pick up three pieces of litter (please exercise common sense and caution) and take a picture of their booty before binning them. The pictures could then be forwarded to Kate Claisse and be uploaded on the website.
The coffee morning hosted by Sue Harris at Hotham Park Café was a great success with 18 members attending and noise levels raised from all the chatter! The next will be hosted by Celia on 1st March at 10.00 at The William Hardwicke
Open Morning at North Lodge
WI members have been invited to an Open Morning on Thursday March 22nd from 10-12 at the headquarters of WSFWI in Northgate, Chichester. There will be a tour of North Lodge and a talk on the history of the house by Delph Archer from Chidham WI. There will also be the chance to visit the Costume Wardrobe and view the samplers in the Heritage Room. There will (obviously!) be a raffle but there is no entry fee for WI members. If you would like to go please register with Sally Brown (Federation Secretary) on 01243 783134 or email her on email@example.com
South of England Show
The South of England Show will be held at Ardingly Show Ground on 7th, 8th and 9th June 2018 and East and West Sussex Federations are asking for volunteers to be stewards in the WI Craft Marquee. It is a very important role, protecting the member’s craft items and acting as an exemplar of WI membership. A free admission ticket will be provided to members willing to carry out two shifts – 2 hours in the morning and 1½ hours in the afternoon. You do need to be able to stand for up to 2 hours at a time although drinks and seating are available pre and post shifts. If you are interested a sign up sheet will be available at the February meeting.
Hotham Park Country Fair 4th and 5th August
Together with Aldwick Revival WI, BRWI be holding a craft/cake/preserves stall at the Fair with BRWI providing the woman power on Saturday 4th August. There will be 2 hour shifts so please keep the date free and, if you can, volunteer to provide cover for one of the 2 hour slots.
We will also be looking for donations to be sold for our WI funds so if you are up to your ears in Seville oranges, please think about putting aside some jars of marmalade for the stall. And any jams/chutneys you make through the year. Ideally, don’t label them because then can then be given a BRWI label.
West Sussex Federation Activities
Please see the latest WSN for details of all events organised by WSF.
• Table Tennis Tournament Fittleworth Village Hall Tuesday 13th February 2018
• Speakers’ Interviewing Day Fittleworth Village Hall Monday 26th March 2018 9.45am-3.00pm £8.00
• The next meeting of the South Rife Group is on March 19th, 1400 hours at Bersted Park Community Centre at 2.00 pm. There will be talk by Melanie Gibson-Barton – The Life and Times of Edith Cavell, a raffle, refreshments and a bring and buy sale. The competition is a war poem and the cost to attend is £2.50 with tickets available from Celia at the meeting.
• St George’s Day and Shakespeare’s Birthday April 23rd – A Day Event of Literature, History, Dance Music and Fun with Tony Harris as Shakespeare and speaker Sussex Author Beth Miller. Lancing Parish Hall.
• Outdoor Talk and Walk at Ardingly Reservoir on Thursday 12th April 10.30-1.00.
• Cryptic Crosswords Explained on April 25th at Fittleworth Village Hall 10.30 – 3.00.
Walks: After the winter break there are two walks to look forward to – both in areas that we have not explored before and both along the coast to avoid those muddy Downs.
Thursday 15th February 2018: Starting at 10.30 am, a 3-4 mile walk from Church Norton to Selsey. This is a flat level walk along a coastal footpath and some roads.
Saturday 3rd March 2018: Starting at 2 pm, the second coastal footpath is a 3-4 mile walk from East Preston and round Ferring.
Flick Chicks: 17th February – ‘Kind Hearts and Coronets’ at The Spring, Havant 1.45 pm
18th February – ‘Sunset Boulevard’ at New Park Centre, Chichester 3.30 pm
SCIFFLe Group: Members of the SCIFFLe group travelled to London on 8th January to see the fascinating and absorbing ‘Harry Potter: A History of Magic’ exhibition at the British Library. There were books dating back to the 8th century on display as well as other amazing artifacts such as a real witch’s cauldron which had exploded mid-spell! Next planned outing will be to the South Downs Planetarium, on 16th February to see ‘Hubble’s View of the Universe’. Please let Karen know if you would like to go along. Date of next SCIFFLe meeting – Thursday 15th February 7.30 pm at Karen’s home. ‘Netflix Nite’ streaming some Netflix SF exclusives.
Acting Up – Shakespeare We’re Not!: We’re off again and there is space for you to join in our WI drama group. Sign up at WI or contact Jan Marsden. Come along to build your confidence or to be someone or something else for a few minutes – or just watch. For the foreseeable future, we are keeping our activities between ourselves within thegroup so there is no need to worry about exposing your hidden talents. The next meeting is on Tuesday February 20th at Jan’s home at 7.30 pm. We’ll be miming, acting out very short sketches and working with props. If our last meeting is anything to go by, we will be laughing a lot – tears were rolling down our faces as we tried various acting warm up games.
Mah Jong: 5 members with a range of skills gathered at Mandy’s house on February 7th to play Mah Jong. If anyone is interested in playing, please speak to Mandy
If you have signed up for a group event, please let the organiser and/or hostess know in advance if you are unable to attend.
Date & Day Group / contact Venue Details
Monday 15th January Knit & Knatter
Rosemary Coleman tba 7-9pm
Thursday 15th February SCIFFLe
Karen McCreedy Karen’s home 7.30pm
‘Netflix Nite’ streaming some Netflix SF exclusives
Thursday 1st March 10.00 Coffee Morning The William Hardwicke Hosted by Celia
Thursday 25th January Dining Club
Lesley Hiley Blanc Brasserie
Chichester 12.30 pm
NB There will be a sign-up sheet at our January meeting for members of the group to sign for the month when they would like to organise the meal.
Saturday 17th February 1.45 pm Flick Chicks The Spring, Havant Kind Hearts and Coronets
Sunday 18th February 3.30pm Flick Chicks Chichester Cinema at New Park Centre, Chichester Sunset Boulevard
Thursday 15th February Walking Group Church Norton to Selsey 10.30 am
Saturday 3rd March Walking Group East Preston and Ferring 2 pm
Tuesday February 20th Acting Up Jan’s home 7.30 pm
Wednesday 14th March Art Group
Lynn Douet At Lynn’s home 1.30-4.30 pm
Wednesday 15th March Art Group
Lynn Douet At Lynn’s home 1.30-4.30 pm
Noticeboard and Other News
Two Offers from the Lovely Stella: If there is anyone who makes cards for sale, Stella has a carrier bag full of 90th birthday (female) and 80th birthday (male) cards.
Also, bearing in mind the forthcoming WI camping holiday, Stella wondered if there was anyone who would like a size 18 nearly new white T shirt embroidered with the West Sussex logo. Stella will not be at the February meeting but please contact her if you are interested in any of the above.
My Sisters House CIC News February 2016: MSH has taken on new premises at 3-6 Clockwalk, 7-11 High Street, Bognor Regis. The premises at 108c London Road (opposite the library) has been transformed to be our new ‘Kitchen Table’ Women’s Community Hub. Drop-in between 9-2 most weekdays. Why not meet your friends here and help support MSH with a donation for drinks and yummy cakes. See photos on Facebook.
Line Dancing: For those who enjoyed the line dancing at the last meeting and want to do some more, Barbara tells that the line dancing teacher has been unwell and there has been a stand in. So for beginners the only class with spaces is Tuesday evenings 8-9pm at Climping village hall. The teacher’s name is Jennifer and her tel. no is 01243 585298.
Edited by Kate Claisse – on behalf of Bognor Regis WI Committee. All submissions for the next issue to be received by Wednesday 7th February. Thank-you.