225g each of rose hips, haws, rowan berries and sloes
450g each of crab apples, blackberries and elderberries
115g hazelnuts, chopped
900g granulated sugar, + extra sugar the weight of fruit pulp.
- Wash fruit well. Put rose hips, haws, rowan berries and crab apples in large pan and add water to cover. Bring to boil and then simmer gently until tender – about 1 hour.
- Sieve fruits and weigh resulting fruit pulp.
- Put pulp back in washed pan and add blackberries, elderberries and chopped nuts. Simmer for about 15 mins.
- Add sugar, plus extra sugar = weight of pulp.
- Cook over a low heat to dissolve sugar and then boil rapidly for about 10 mins or until setting point. Remove any scum.
- Pour into sterilized jays and seal and label.
- This makes about 5 lb jam