No-one knows where the name comes from, but it makes a great base for steamed pudding.
900g cooking apples, cored & sliced
900g pears, peeled cored and sliced
900g plums, halved and stoned
50g fresh root ginger, bruised & tied in a muslin bag
2 kg granulated sugar
grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Place all the fruit and ginger in a large pan and add enough water to cover the base of the pan.
- Simmer until the fruit is tender – about 45 mins.
- Remove from heat and add sugar, stirring until dissolved. Add the lemon zest and juice.
- Bring to the boil and boil rapidly for about 15 mins or until setting point. Remove any scum.
- Pour into sterilized jars, discarding the ginger, and seal and label.
- Makes 7-8 lbs of jam.