½ lb mixed peel (any citrus fruit), cut into thin strips.
2 lemons, washed
3 pints water
¾ pint fresh orange juice (from a carton)
- Cut lemons into quarters lengthwise, then slice thinly. Tie pips in a muslin bag or new ‘J’ cloth.
- Place cut peel, lemon, water and pips in a large pan (at least 6 pint). Cover and simmer for about 2 hours until peel disintegrates when pressed.
- Remove pips, stir in orange juice. Boil rapidly, uncovered, for 5-7 mins to reduce liquid by almost a half.
- Turn off the heat and add sugar, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Bring to the boil and boil for 1 min, then test for setting point (using the ‘chilled saucer’ method).
- Allow marmalade to cool for 10 mins, then pour into warmed sterilized jars. Press a waxed disc on top. When cold cover and label.
- Makes 4 ½ – 5 lbs of marmalade.