1 kg Rhubarb (weighed after preparing & cut into small chunks)
1 kg preserving sugar
1 vanilla pod, halved lengthways
Juice 1 lemon
- Put a small plate in the freezer. Warm clean jars in the oven on a low heat.
- Put the rhubarb, sugar & vanilla pod into a heavy pan.
- Heat gently, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved, then squeeze in the lemon juice.
- Boil for about 10 mins until the fruit is soft.
- Skim off any scum that forms. Remove the vanilla pod & scrape the seeds back into the jam.
- Test for setting point using the saucer from the freezer, by spooning on a little jam then leaving for about a minute then pushing your finger through the jam – if the surface wrinkles it is ready. If not carry on cooking re-testing every 2 mins.
- Take off the heat & allow to cool slightly before ladling into warm jars & sealing.
- Will keep in a cool dark place for 6 months. Refrigerate after opening.