250g (9 oz) onions, chopped
1Kg (2lb 4oz) cooking apples, cored and chopped
125g (4½ oz) sultanas (or raisins or chopped dates)
1 slightly rounded tbsp. of ground coriander
1 slightly rounded tbsp. of paprika
1 slightly rounded tbsp. of mixed spice
1 slightly rounded tbsp. of salt
350g (12 oz) granulated sugar
700ml (1 ¼ pints) malt vinegar
- Put all ingredients into a large pan.
- Slowly bring to boil, stirring often, until sugar has completely dissolved.
- Simmer for 1 ½ to 2 hours, stirring from time to time.
- After 1 ½ hours, at 15 min intervals drag wooden spoon through mixture – until chutney very thick and channel does not refill quickly.
- Remove pan from heat, leave to stand briefly.
- Pour into hot sterilised jars and seal and label.
Store for at least 2 months before eating
4 thoughts on “Spicy Apple Chutney”
lovely recipe. Tastes delicious. Thanks for this. Simon
You’re very welcome Simon – so glad you like it.
Unfortunately, I cannot print this recipe, which 3 of my neighbours (1 of which is aW.I. member from Morwenstow, Bude) would like to use. Am I really that thick that I don’t know by now which buttons to press to print?!
Hi Janet, thanks for your comment. Investigating further, I have found that if you go to this page via the website (bognorregiswi.com) menu system (RECIPES/GLUT…/SPICY APPLE …), there are buttons at the end of the recipe including a PRINT button. If you go in direct, via a search say, there are no buttons. However, in this case I can just print using my browser, which is Safari – File/print. Perhaps your browser has a similar facility?