1 kg Runner Beans (when dry trimmed and sliced)
750g onions (when chopped)
500g Demerara sugar
500g soft brown sugar
1 heaped tablespoon cornflour
1 heaped tablespoon mustard powder.
1 litre vinegar.
- Cook chopped onions in 700ml of vinegar.
- Cook sliced beans in well salted water until tender.
- Meanwhile, mix dry ingredients to smooth paste with remaining vinegar.
- Strain cooked beans, then add to vinegar & onions & cook for 10 minutes.
- Add sugar and rest of ingredients and boil for another 15 minutes until mixture thickens.
- Bottle in sterilised jars and cover.
- This is a good recipe for using up some of the larger runner beans that are past their best for eating.
- This chutney is best left to mature for a couple of months.