30g unsalted butter
700g large white onions, peeled, halved and sliced
1 tablespoon of olive oil
200g button mushrooms, stalks trimmed and halved
150ml turkey stock
500g leftover turkey, diced
200g tin rustic bean mix or white beans (drained weight) rinsed
4 tablespoons coarsely chopped flat leaf parsley plus extra to serve (optional)
For the top
200g wholemeal breadcrumbs
75g turkey gravy or stock
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a low heat. Add the onions, sprinkle over a teaspoon of salt and gently fry over a low heat for 30 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent them colouring. By the end they should be silky and soft.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large nonstick frying pan over a medium high heat, then fry the mushrooms for several minutes until lightly coloured, stirring occasionally and transfer to a medium bowl.
- Puree the onions with the stock in a blender until silky smooth then transfer the sauce to a large bowl and leave to cool for about 30 minutes. Stir in the turkey, mushrooms, beans and parsley.
- Transfer this to a shallow ovenproof dish (around 20cm x 30cm). The filling can be prepared well in advance, in which case cover and chill.
- To cook the pie, preheat the oven to 200C/190Cfan/gas 6 ½ . For the top whiz the breadcrumbs with the gravy and oil to a crumble consistency in a food processor taking care not to turn it into a dough. Scatter over the filling and bake for 20-35 minutes until the crumbs are golden.
Contributed by: Maggie Hartley